Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Ostrich leather artist from Mossel Bay, South Africa (art and craft manufacturing)

Situated in Mossel Bay, South Africa, Leather Artist, an art and craft manufacturing came to life in September 2009, by Jaco Steyl

Designing and artwork have always been a passion of mine. From the young age of 5 years my parents noticed my talent and have supported my efforts since then. Art brings inner peace and happiness, which I believe are the building blocks for a healthy relationship with yourself and others.

Not surprisingly, art became my eventual tertiary field of study. I completed my national diploma in textile design at Port
Elizabeth University of Technology and have been doing part-time creative work
since then.


I realised that most suppliers of ostrich leather offer product ranges consisting of
mainly clothing, shoes and fashion accessories. Decorative household items and
genuine artwork are hard to find. Leather Artist was created to offer that something
special and unique.

Ostrich leather is known as exotic leather with a beautiful texture. It is this unique
texture that brings the artwork to life. I have tried to capture the spirit of Africa with
themes such as African Children, Mother and Child and African Sunsets, painted on
ostrich leg skin leather. I am currently working on a range of African wildlife but am
not restricted to African themes. Floral paintings, for example the Strelitzia, also
work well on the leg skin.

I also manufacture products such as coasters and pot stands from ostrich leg skin and
serviette rings made from either leg or body skins. All raw materials are sourced
locally and all work is done by me, Jaco Steyl, to ensure the highest possible quality.
It is my mission to build a business that will enable me to employ people from local,
previously disadvantaged communities to help them develop and refine their skills. I
will continue to dream and design as it is a special talent I have been blessed with and
am grateful for.

No comments: